Tyler cracks me up. He does all of the normal pretending, like talking on the phone or cooking or baking. I am constantly finding play food in the sink and freezer. And he also tries to throw away his play food if it falls on the floor and gets dirty.
But then he also makes up some pretty funny things. He is constantly carrying or holding something invisible. When we were camping he would go through every step of roasting a marshmallow and making a s'more. He'd hold his marshmallow over the fire pit, walk over to the picnic table to get his graham cracker and chocolate, acting out every part, and then go back and sit down in his camp chair to eat it. He would go get his skateboard out of the back of the car (and he needed some one to actually open the door for him to get it out) and then pretend to ride it all over before going back to put it away. (He doesn't actually have a skateboard.)
He almost always has a deer or a goat with him in the car. He tells me all about them while we drive places. Today the deer went the wrong way so he was yelling at it to come back.
When we tell him it's time to do things he often pretends to do them and then tells us he already did it. Like when I said it was time to go grocery shopping the other day after he had pretended to grocery shop in our living room. It took a lot of convincing to get him out the door because, "I just went grocery shopping already." Sometimes he will get his imaginary keys to unlock doors for me, and then when I get my real keys out he tells me he "already just did that." We had a great time playing imaginary baseball with our pretend bat and ball at the field near our house the other day.
He pretends to drink his coffee every single day. People at the park probably thought I was a terrible mother today as he carried his water bottle around calling it his coffee. It was water.
A few days ago at 9:00 am he had already changed clothes three times, taken all of his clothes off twice to take imaginary showers and put on his swim suit to swim all over the house. At one point he was wearing a warm pair of athletic pants under two pairs of fleece pajama pants with a t-shirt under a long sleeved shirt, under another t-shirt, and he was trying to put on a hooded sweatshirt because "I'm just pretty cold a little bit." It was 74 degrees in our house. Winter is going to be rough for him. Needless to say, I've been doing a lot of laundry lately.
At nap time today I asked him for a hug and a kiss and he pointed at his wrist and said, "Oh, no. My timer says it's time to sleep now." I'm not sure if that's better or worse than when he normally wipes my kisses off his face.
I love this little world where sand is macaroni and cheese and you can play restaurant without a single toy. Just handfuls of air as money and food. And I love seeing the joy his imaginary little world brings him.
Love this boy.
No comments:
Post a Comment