Monday, February 17, 2014

Valentine's Day!

I really love Valentine's Day, especially for kids. It's fun to have a day just dedicated to making them feel loved and special. Hopefully they feel that way everyday, and just extra, extra special on Valentine's Day. Tyler and Carsten woke up to a couple of fun little surprises by their chairs at the table. And then the bubbles and toy cell phone we gave them were completely overshadowed by the huge box they got to open from my parents. :-) Tyler is really into "animal doctors" right now and he got none other than a Play mobile animal doctor set. And they were both pretty excited about Carsten's new Little People bath toy.

We had heart shaped pancakes for breakfast - very exciting. And later we made cupcakes.

Ha. I love to cook and I love to bake. And I love to try new recipes. I am constantly trying to find new healthy foods to feed my kids. The problem is, I want my food to taste good. So I am always searching for things that will be healthy and delicious. Healthy food that doesn't taste healthy. I have found some pretty great kid-friendly recipes, especially for homemade snacks and breakfasts. In my quest for putting healthy things in their little bodies, I have started buying some things organic, and while I don't ban food coloring, I try to avoid it most of the time. Ok, so I'm trying to be healthy, but I want it to taste good and I don't cook with things that are weird. Until I lost my mind/went over the deep end on Friday and made Beet Cupcakes. Yes, beets. I put beets in my cupcakes. Beets. Actually, I didn't put it in the cake, just the frosting. To make it festive without the food coloring.

It worked!

I left some white frosting, just in case. I'm not completely crazy. And I also frosted some with white and swirled in some of the beet frosting. Those tasted great. You seriously could not taste the beets at all. The actual beet frosting did taste a bit like beets though. Shocker, I know. Only a little though. It still tasted sweet, with just a little hint of a beet taste in the middle. And even with the slight hint of beet flavor, they still weirdly enough, tasted good. If I do this again (probably only if I have a daughter, because how often do you really make pink cupcakes with boys?) I will use a little less of the beets. But overall, I would actually consider it a success. Just don't judge me for the fact that I used beets to color my frosting and yet we still decorated with colored m&m's and sprinkles... Oops.

Tyler of course chose a white one. He was really proud of his decorating on this one.

Carsten didn't get to enjoy the cupcakes. But he loved his apple in the mesh-whatever-you-call-it-pouch-thing.

Carl and I decided not to try to go out and stand in lines to eat at a a restaurant on Valentine's Day. So after the kids went to bed, we had a fondue night!

However, we are a little lame. And old. And lame. And after our main course, we were full and really tired. Fondue takes a long time! I have never done this before in my life, and hopefully never will again, but I actually chose to go to sleep over eating chocolate fondue. What?! Yes, I know. Like I said, we are lame! I can't even quite believe I'm admitting this.

So we decided to save the chocolate fondue to do with Tyler. That was a huge hit. He was beyond excited. Last night after Carsten was in bed (sorry sweetie, you were sick and actually fell asleep eating and couldn't have had it anyway), we had Valentine's Fondue Part 2.


He was one happy boy.

About ten minutes in, the excitement/sugar hit him and he started running in tiny circles on his chair, giggling. Oh goodness, boy. Not safe. But pretty funny. While we were eating we were talking about his birthday coming up, and I asked if there was anything fun he might like to do for his birthday. His whole face lit up and he shouted, "Fondue!" And then added, "And I will get a present for my birthday. A big strawberry for fondue." Tyler, if all we give you for your birthday is a strawberry, you can't blame us. It's what you asked for. :-)

It was a very fun way to spend Valentine's Day this year. And with how much fun Tyler had last night, I'm actually glad we were feeling too exhausted so that he had the chance to join us. I love these three boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment