Thursday, February 20, 2014

Annnd It's Back.

The day before Thanksgiving we were very excited that Carsten was done wearing his helmet. But after awhile we started questioning whether or not he should have been done with it, or if it had actually gotten worse again. They had told us that there were a couple of places that would continue to change over time so we kept watching it. But those weren't really the spots bothering us and finally we decided we needed to go in and just have it looked at. I was expecting one of three things: I thought they would either assure us that it was fine and we would leave feeling like we'd overreacted, but at least have peace of mind, or tell us we were right, but he was too old to do anything about it. Or third, that he would start all over with a helmet again, but honestly, I didn't think that was likely.

We saw two doctors that day. One was a little wishy washy about it and not very helpful in bringing us to a decision. But then a nurse told us we could see one of the orthotists and have a scan done to get his opinion. That was very helpful. He highly recommended another helmet and after the scan he said his head had definitely reverted back. He couldn't believe how flat it was when he saw the scan. Then yesterday when we went in for the fitting we saw the orthotist that we always saw back in the fall. He also agreed that he had definitely regressed for some reason and confirmed that we were making the right decision. They told us that it is possible to revert, but it basically never happens. They couldn't believe it when they saw the scan and the mold of his head. It really is crazy. I know it looked much better when we left in November then it does now.

So anyway, today was day number two with helmet number two. Hopefully it will go better this time. And quickly! I am so sad for him that he has to wear that thing. Although he smiles every time we put it on so far. He hasn't slept in it yet though, so... we'll see how that goes. I really am mostly just sad for him and that he has to go through this again. But I won't lie, as silly as this sounds, I'm also a little sad that his awesome hair is going to be hidden away. I love his hair! It sticks out in every single direction and I think it's adorable. And I miss it already. 

I'm a nerd. I did a little pre-helmet hair photo shoot yesterday. Because before we went to the doctor I was sad about it getting flattened.

I couldn't choose my favorite. So here are a few:





\
What a little trooper this guy is.

The helmet is clearly not slowing him down. It took him about two seconds to climb up there and start tossing things out.

This guy is a trooper too. Tyler has been to almost as many of the appointments as Carsten has and he does great. Back in the fall we were at so many appointments that he would get confused and when he would try to shout Buzz Light Year's "To infinity and beyond!" he would say, "To physical therapy and beyond!" instead. 

We do not need physical therapy, but it is back to helmet land for us again! :-(

Carl said he got this at the exact right time - he is walking around the house pushing anything that moves, all the time. And I don't think it will be long before he doesn't need to hold onto anything anymore. But he is also falling and bumping that little head. I don't love the helmet, but I do love the extra little protection it provides for falls on hardwood floors!



No comments:

Post a Comment