Tuesday, April 9, 2013

New Wheels

For almost two years I have been fighting for a minivan. I think it's practical, and I think we travel and camp enough that the space would be extremely helpful. Especially when this next little guy gets here. Back in February when Carl's car broke down, I thought I was winning. Carl was looking up minivans and even decided what kind he wanted. But then by some wrong turn of events, the smallest minivan in the world showed up in my driveway on Friday.

 
Now don't get me wrong here. I'm very thankful for a reliable car. It's not a good sign when your husband doesn't let you or your child into his vehicle because it's not safe, but yet he drives it to work everyday. Carl is the one who will be driving it, and it won't usually have kids in it, so it doesn't need to be big. And I really do like this car. It's just not what I was picturing when we were talking about minivans!

Just to be clear, we did talk through this decision. He didn't just go buy it on his own. Or tell me he was getting a minivan and show up with this. But still, I think I lost my fight.

And on a different subject, but speaking of me losing, you know how Tyler lost the ability to fall asleep on his own for naps when he switched to a bed? Well Carl has been talking about getting black-out shades for like a year. And I always tell him I don't want him to be dependent on complete darkness to fall asleep. I want him to be able to sleep when we travel! Then three weeks ago, we were desperate for him to get a nap before swimming lessons (which fall during his normal naptime), so Carl put a big piece of cardboard behind his shade, making the room so dark he needed his nightlight on. And Tyler fell asleep immediately. And now, for 23 days in a row, he has fallen asleep by himself, within about ten minutes, without emptying his bookshelf or dresser or getting into any other kind of shennanigans and he has been sleeping for two hours again instead of 45 minutes. Yep. I was wrong. Black-out shades would be amazing! Who cares if he doesn't sleep well when we travel? As long as he takes great naps the other 300-some days a year, I can deal with rough naps once in awhile! I don't know why I fought that. Ridiculous. Carl, you rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment