Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Look Mommy, I'm Two!

I like to keep things positive on here. The point of this blog is not to complain. I want it to be a way to share fun stories with friends and family and I want it to be something our kids can look back at and read or remember stories about themselves. But believe it or not, it's not always sunshine and roses at our house. :-)

I think that last week Tyler wanted to make sure that I know that he is indeed, two years old. Starting with the biggest tantrum/meltdown in the history of Tyler. You know those cute little busy bags? Well who knew that the sweet little felt pizza could cause an hour and a half of tears?! When I was getting it out for him (and I can't believe I ever could have done such a terrible thing), I opened the bag and dumped it out for him. Big mistake. Mr. Independence was not in the mood to have things done for him. I really don't remember the order of events or even what all of them were. But the next 90 minutes went something like this. There were no breaks or pauses between tears. He just moved along from one thing to the next to be upset about. It started with me dumping out the pizza. Then he tried to put it all away and do it himself, but he was too mad and couldn't get it back in the bag. Then he couldn't get his sock off. I offered to help. His nose was runny. It got on his hands. He coudn't reach the Kleenex by himself. Then I got him a Kleenex (not cool Mom). So after 20 minutes I decided to just leave him alone because nothing I could say or do would calm him down. And he completely re-lost it when I told him I was going to make lunch. So I told him I would sit by him for a couple more minutes. But I didn't sit down in the exact spot on the carpet that he wanted me in. And then I wasn't turned in the exact right direction. So I got up and left and made lunch. He continued to cry and be frustrated. But when he sat down with his lunch he turned it off and was delightful to sit and eat with. As soon as he was done though, he needed a diaper change and (again, what was I thinking?) I helped him out of his chair and it all fell apart. He screamed and kicked through his diaper change and then we went to read before nap. He wanted to read a Bible story, but couldn't find the exact page he wanted to read. And he wanted to hold it himself, but then I couldn't see the words. So he cried and flailed through an attempt at a story until I told him he could take it to bed with him, but we couldn't read anymore. When he got into his bed he couldn't find the exact right place to lay, he was apparently mad at his pillow, his Bible kept tipping over when he tried to stand it up, his water was in the wrong cup, and life was altogether miserable. He wouldn't let me hold him or hug him - he just wanted to be mad. So eventually he cried himself to sleep. And he woke up two hours later like nothing had happened, happy as can be.

He has never done this before, and he hasn't done it since. Usually his meltdowns last between 30 seconds and two minutes. And whether he is mad, sad or hurt, he always cries for about 5 or 10 seconds and then completely stops to say, "Me crying," in his saddest, woe is me voice, and then starts crying again. I should have known this was serious business and that we had a real problem when he didn't stop to tell me he was crying. So I think that was his way of welcoming me into life with a two year old. I hope it's the last time he feels the need to do that!

Of course, he's also had some very fun moments of being two. :-) Carl took him to the zoo on Saturday and when they walked by a girl and her boyfriend, Tyler said, "Hi Girl. Hubba, hubba." I feel like I'm going to be in big trouble when he is a teenager. Yikes! And also, I blame it completely on Carl.

Our house has been overtaken by balloons. But they finally mysteriously disappeared during his nap Sunday.

He picked out his own clothes. Right down to the necktie and headband necklace.
 
He also picked out this outfit. And wore it for a couple of hours, hat and all.

He's warming up to the idea of being a big brother. He practicing with his puppies.

And his Little People.
 
He doesn't understand everything that having a baby in the house will mean. But he is getting excited about it. I'm very relieved about that! He has been doing lots of pretending. And he talks about how the baby is going to sleep in bunk beds with him and that I will go to the hospital and the baby will get out. And he put all but one of his pacifiers in a gift bag to give to our friend Baby Adeline because he's big and doesn't need them anymore. Nuks are for babies. We're working on getting that last one in the bag. And lately he has been talking a lot about holding the baby! He and the baby have a matching outfit that he thinks is so funny and he's really excited to wear with him. He's moving into his new room with his twin bed tonight, so after that maybe he will decide the baby can sleep in his old room instead of the top bunk.

1 comment:

  1. I love Tyler taking care of the puppies and Little People. So cute!!!

    ReplyDelete