Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Putting It Back Together

When it rains, it pours. And it has been pouring at our house! Right before we left to go to the Dells we noticed our hot water heater had broken. There was nothing we could really do about it except pray that it didn't leak everywhere while we were gone. Thankfully, it didn't. But we did have to take freezing cold showers and boil water for Tyler's baths. We got back from the Dells and couldn't get anyone out there until after Tyler and I had left for Kansas. So Carl had to take parts of two days off of work to be here while they first came to check it, and the next day to replace it.

The next day when I talked to Carl he told me our fireplace was broken and he couldn't figure out how to fix it.

The next day when I talked to Carl he told me that his laptop (his very new laptop) was broken and he couldn't even get it to turn on.

The next day when I talked to Carl he told me that his car had broken down and he was pretty sure it was done for.

I'm not kidding. Things just fall apart when I'm not home I guess. :-) Since then he has figured out the fireplace and gotten it working again, and while he's not convinced his computer is "fixed" he did get it to turn on and can use it. But we are probably in the market for a new car. We were planning on getting a new one soon anyway - his really did need to be replaced. Now we just have to do it... now.

Anyway, like I had mentioned in a different post, the trip home from Kansas completely wore me out. I finally got my act together and managed to unpack and start to feel like I could get some things done around the house and BOOM. Tyler woke up Wednesday night throwing up. So we moved Tyler's mattress out to the living room so I could help him in the night and I (tried) to sleep on the couch next to him. And I spent Valentine's Day doing five loads of sheets, blankets, pajamas and stuffed animals. I told Carl I felt like the worst wife ever. I had three goals for that day: To write a really nice card for him, to make Valentine's Day cupcakes for us to have that night and to deliver to our neighbor, and to look cute. I did not have time to write a card, I did not make cupcakes and I barely got out of my pajamas. I was still wearing my glasses, had no make up on, and I'm pretty sure I smelled like puke when he got home from work. Oops. Happy Valentine's Day Honey. :-)

He still got me flowers, from him and my babies. And after Tyler went to bed we ordered a pizza and watched TV. We didn't even really have the energy to find a good movie!

 
On Friday I got sick. It was miserable, but thankfully it didn't last too long and by Saturday morning I actually felt ok-ish. Tyler was still really lethargic and not himself and we were both exhausted, so we made the best of it by getting Finding Nemo and having our first ever family movie day. We only got thrown up on and all had to change clothes once. :-)

Sunday we all felt great, and Carl never did get sick. He was a fabulous husband for those few days and took great care of us!

And yesterday was Valentine's Day at our house. Better late than never, right? We finally got our "cuppy cakes" as Tyler calls them so cutely.

 
I am so thankful to all be healthy again, thankful that we don't get sick like this often, and so excited to be getting out of the house this week! Days like those make us appreciate the good ones so much more.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh! This sounds awful! I am so sorry for your difficult week! You should have called in some reinforcements. Glad to hear you are healthy again!

    ReplyDelete