When I found out I was pregnant with Tyler I was thrilled. And when I found out he was a boy I was also thrilled. So excited! But I'm not going to lie, I had one teeny tiny fear about raising a boy. I knew that someday he would like bugs and frogs. And I do not like bugs and frogs! Ridiculous fear, I know. But seriously, the thought of my sweet little boy holding bugs and frogs is not a pleasant one!
And that day has come. A couple weeks ago we took Tyler to the pool and while he was playing in it he noticed an ant. So he left the very fun, exciting pool and slide that was closing for the summer that very day, to chase the ant around the edge.
And since then, he has been completely fascinated by ants. It takes about 3 times as long to walk to the park because he chases every ant he sees. But the really great thing that I hadn't thought about before, was that he also steps on them!
Let me tell you why that's so great. When I see a bug or a spider at our house, I stand and yell at the top of my lungs for Carl to come and take care of it. And if I'm being perfectly honest, when he's not home to rescue me when I see one, I just shut the door and leave the room. I do not like bugs. But now I just might have my own personal bug squasher who is with me all day long!
However, he can't just go around stepping on frogs for me, so hopefully he doesn't discover those for a long time. If I had to decide, I think I'm more afraid of frogs than bugs. A few years ago we went camping and the whole campground was filled with spiders and frogs. We tried to go hiking and actually turned around because we were walking into spider webs every few feet. And there were live frogs and dead ones all over the roads. And while we were walking to the bathroom one jumped and landed on my foot!! It was the worst camping trip of my entire life and we will never go there again.
All that to say, Tyler is fascinated by my enemies the bugs. But it just might be a good thing. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment