Thursday, September 13, 2012

My Mini Master Chef

The hardest part of Tyler's day has almost always been when I'm making dinner. He knows it's almost time to eat, he can see the food and he's waiting for Daddy to get home after a long day. Tough stuff.

But suddenly, it's become his favorite time of day. And mine too! I. Love. This. Age.

It started a couple weeks ago when I was cutting a watermelon when he woke up from his nap and he wanted to be near me. So we pulled a chair up to the island and he helped. And by helped I mean he ate it as fast as I could cut it.


Since that day everytime I start cooking, he comes running, pushes a chair up to the island and climbs up to help. He loves every part of it. From washing his hands, to helping pour things in, to stirring, and especially eating. He has snatched carrots, onions, basil, parsley, chocolate chips, and raw corn on the cob to chew on while I work.

He worked really hard to husk that corn. And he was so proud.

Since he's been loving this so much I decided we needed to have a baking day on Monday. I found this amazing looking recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownie Sandwhiches and I was in love. But I've heard a lot lately that it's as bad to eat raw flour as it is to eat raw eggs. And as it turns out, I'm SUPER paranoid about making my family sick. Which is really annoying because I love cookie dough. So anyway, I spent way too much of Tyler's nap trying to find out if there was any way I could cook flour enough to make it safe in cookie dough. And I found nothing. So I decided to just make the brownie cookie part. Until I realized it called for SO MUCH cocoa powder that my over half full container wasn't enough.

So we made up our own recipe. And it was fantastic.

 So excited to get started!
 

 "What is this stuff and why won't you let me eat it?!"
 
 "Yummy!"
 
 Right? Isn't this how we all feel about mini chocolate chips? Bliss.
 
And this is what we call a good day.


1 comment: