Friday, September 28, 2012

Feeding the Deer

I'm a little behind here (again) and I blame it on a week full of house showings and another week with company. It's been a fun, but busy couple of weeks!

Two weeks ago we went to the Dells for another fun weekend, this time with Carl's brother Matt, his wife Janelle, and some of thier cousins. For Tyler it was another action packed weekend and he loved every minute of it. We got there earlier than most of them on Friday so Matt and Janelle (or Na and Nina, as Tyler calls them) suggested going to a deer park. I had seen it from the road before - it doesn't actually look all that exciting when you're driving by, but we knew Tyler would love any sort of petting zoo. Turns out it's awesome. Tyler had one of the best afternoons of his life, I'm pretty sure. There are just deer everywhere! Wandering all over the place. We bought food at the beginning. Matt and Janelle had been there before so they knew to stock up on the food! The does and fawns were just walking around and we could pet and feed them easily. We could still feed the bucks, but they were fenced in.

Tyler loves animals, but I thought he might be at least a little nervous. Nope. I was quite wrong. He was completely, 100% fearless. Unlike me. If you've seen me around dogs then you can imagine how I would respond to deer sticking their faces up to me looking for food. I did not touch or feed a single one. I just handed Tyler more food and let him do it for me.



For some reason, this white deer loved Tyler. Tyler did not love it back. It kept following him around and Tyler would look at it and say, "NO!" and then go give the food to a different one everytime. He was actually very selective about who he wanted to feed.



Tyler called the deer food crackers. And if a deer came up to him while he was empty handed he would always look over at us and ask for a cracker right away. It was pretty cute.


He only tried to eat the deer food a couple times. I'm sure he thought they looked like graham crackers. But he learned quickly that it was a lot more fun to feed the deer than eat it himself.

They were getting a little greedy towards the end!


That night Tyler woke up and had a hard time falling back asleep. After he finally closed his eyes and I thought he was asleep, I jokingly (and very quietly) told Carl he was probably dreaming about hundreds of deer chasing him down for food. Tyler immediately sat straight up in bed and said, "Cracker!" And then he was wide awake ready to talk about the deer!

It's been two weeks and we can still ask him what he fed the deer and he tells us and everytime he sees pictures of deer or anything that might look even a little like a deer he starts talking about crackers. He. Loved. That. Day.

1 comment:

  1. I loved seeing a heard of deer running in the area that people werent suppose to go in followed by tyler, who snuck in thetr ,trying ro get them and kristi chasing tyler. Hahaha we had so much fun

    ReplyDelete