Tuesday, March 25, 2014

To Kansas and Back Again

I've been MIA for awhile I guess. A couple of weeks ago Tyler, Carsten and I drove down south to the tropical state of Kansas. Ok, not tropical. At all. But it was warm. We didn't wear coats. We played at the park. We ate ice cream. And it was fantastic.

It took 14 1/2 hours to get there! Partly because I had two young kiddos by myself and quick stops were basically impossible. But also partly because I forgot my wallet. Yep. I almost drove to Kansas without a driver's license or any money whatsoever. Obviously I wouldn't have made it all the way there. So we had to wait for Carl to go home from work to get it and then drive an hour to us. We spent the hour and a half sitting in a pile in one seat eating snacks in a Kwik Trip parking lot.

My mom called while we were sitting there and I let Tyler answer. She asked how we were and he said, "We don't have any money!"

I decided at first to drive over to McDonald's play place. But they didn't have a play place. So I told Tyler that was ok, we could just go in and get a little snack. And then I realized, oh yeah. We have no money. So we went back to Kwik Trip and I thought maybe we could go in and get a coffee and pick up some of their awesomely delicious cinnamon rolls to bring to my parents. But I had no money. It's hard to go on a road trip without money. Thanks for saving us Carl.

On our first day we went and saw horses competing at the equestrian center.

Tyler was so happy to spend time at the park while we were there. Now that we're back he keeps asking everyday if the snow is melted yet so we can go to our park.


Carsten is sporting his K-State game bibs for his first time on a swing. He was clearly a big fan.


Grandma took us to the Dairy Bar on campus for ice cream.

And Tyler insisted that she be in his picture with Willy. I think she's hiding behind him on purpose.

And the boys had lots of fun just playing and exploring together.



I'm pretty sure they would have been happy to go to Hy-Vee everyday to drive their car cart. Our grocery store is not that cool.

Tyler did lots of cooking with my mom.

He even got to make his own doughnut!


Tyler is very into playing doctor right now. He walks across the room and falls dramatically onto the floor and "breaks" something. This was one of the many different casts used for his broken head.


Carsten found all kinds of things to get into.



Thankfully he didn't figure out how to slither out of his buckle and stand up in his high chair until the last day!


Tyler even had an early birthday party with Papa Joe and Grandma Ronni! It was complete with a cake, candles, and a brand new Play Mobile set!

This is right before we got in the car to go home - only a 12 1/2 hour drive this time! They didn't really cooperate for this picture. It looks like Carsten knows what is coming!

We are so thankful that even though they live far away, we get to spend such fun weeks with my parents. And I am thankful for all the painting and construction that Carl did while we were away! And for the fact that I survived 26 1/2 hours of traveling with my two little adventurers. :-)













No comments:

Post a Comment