Wednesday, July 10, 2013

July 4th. And 6th.

I love the Fourth of July. Really, I love all holidays. And I'm trying to create some fun family traditions for each one. I don't know that we really had any 4th of July traditions growing up, but I always remember it being exciting. My dad would go park the van at the park early in the day so we'd get a good spot. Then we would all go and watch the fireworks. Sometimes we laid on top of the van, sometimes we sat in camping chairs, sometimes we brought friends, but we always had fun. It was fun to be able to share that excitement with Tyler this year.

We grilled brats and corn on the cob and I made my first annual 4th of July Dirt Cake. I love Dirt Cake and so I've decided that it is now a tradition. :-)  I promise you, next year we will have it again and it will be awesome again.

Random Tyler quote:
Me to Tyler (who LOVES brats): You're such a good little brat eater.
Tyler: I not a brat eater. I a boy. I a big boy!

Later that night I called him a cutie pie and was informed that he is also not a cutie pie. "I not a cutie pie. I Tyler!"

Anyway, Carl picked up some sparklers and fountains to do in the driveway. Tyler was very excited. We could have just called it a night and he would have been perfectly satisfied and thought the 4th of July was amazing.

But we didn't. We followed in my Dad's footsteps and brought a car there to park right next to where we would be sitting. It was our getaway car. In case things didn't go well. Then later we headed over to watch. I was nervous (and felt crazy) to bring Carsten. But his ears were well covered and he happily slept through most of them, just waking up to a couple booms at the end. (Why do they do those ridiculous, loud, bright flashes? Does anyone actually like them?) Tyler loved the fireworks. He loved everything about that night. He didn't act tired at all. He just loved every minute of it. It was a great success and I will always remember watching his sweet little face staring up and taking everything in. I watched him more than I watched the fireworks.

It turns out baby car seats make great toddler recliners.

 
In continuation of our fun 4th of July weekend we decided to enjoy the gorgeous day we had Saturday by going to the zoo. It was hot. But we had a great day.
 



 




No comments:

Post a Comment