Friday, June 14, 2013

Success!! (?)

I'm a little afraid to say this. Like if I write it on here our luck will end. But I'm going to write it anyway. I think Tyler is officially potty trained! And the reason I'm afraid to say it is because I think it's a little too good to be true. Because it was really pretty easy. I am sure that there will still be occasional accidents, but I am holding my breath, hoping that he really is trained! He has been going strong for two weeks, including naps and overnight.


I think it went so easily for two reasons. One, is that he just absolutely wants to do everything himself and be completely independent. He fully dresses and undresses himself, he loves to do things for us and for Carsten and if you accidentally help him with something it's like committing a major crime in Tyler World. So the independence of using the toilet is just one more things he was ready to do all by himself. The only problems we've had at all have been if we tried to help him with any part of the process. He absolutely must do everything himself.

The second reason I think it went well is actually Carsten. I think it was a great distraction for Tyler. He's been getting lots of attention for it, a lot of one-on-one time and a pretty sweet reward at a time where he's also getting used to sharing us with a new baby.
 
He was so ready for it, even before Carsten was born, but we didn't want to be dealing with that right before the baby came. So we waited. But he has now been completely out of diapers for two weeks and doing fantastically! He picked out Cars underwear (even though he'd never seen the movie), so we decided to watch it with him to get him excited about wearing them. Conveniently, he loved the movie and it's almost all he talks about. So we got a car transporter truck from Cars to put up in the living room where he could see it. Then everyday he stayed dry all day he earned a car to put in the truck. When he got all seven cars, he got to keep the truck. It took him nine days to earn all seven and two nights ago he got to keep his truck and cars. It was very exciting.


Carsten has had to spend a little extra time in the hallway outside the bathroom door when we had to quick race to the bathroom. 

 But he didn't seem to mind. What a good little sport.
 
Now here's hoping that Tyler keeps going strong without cars to work towards! So far, so good.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment