Example A:
I was making dinner and he went to his room to look at books. I guess his nose was running. He seemed a little quiet so I went to check on him and found him wiping one side of his nose, while using the little nose sucker thing in the other side. He no longer has a rocking chair or rocking horse, or anything else that can be moved and used to climb on in his room.
Example B:
No picture for this one. But I was once again making dinner, and I needed something from the freezer downstairs. He was playing upstairs and I was gone for about one minute. In that one minute he got a k-cup, moved a chair across the room to the coffee maker, climbed up, turned it on, replaced the old k-cup we forgot to empty with a new one, and was trying to make a cup of coffee. He was so proud when I came upstairs. He got a huge smile and said, "Mommy, coffee!" He was so proud to have made me a cup of coffee, it melted my heart a little bit. I am so thankful that it was out of water or I'm pretty sure he would have been pouring hot coffee everywhere. I guess we need to keep it unplugged now, because I don't really know how else to baby proof that! And also, I just can't ever leave him for a second. Actually, that's not that hard because he follows me around the house asking to help me with everything I do anyway. It was kind of surprising that he let me go downstairs without him in the first place.
Not everything he does is dangerous. He's a fabulous little helper. Actually he's a little too great of a helper. I literally cannot do anything, ever, without my little tag along. It's pretty sweet, although it takes a lot longer to do things. For instance, one of his favorite things to help with is laundry. He seems to understand (although a bit reluctantly) that he can't carry a full basket down the stairs by himself. But once we get into the laundry room he gets to work pulling clean clothes off the drying rack and putting them back in the washing machine. The other day he insisted on carrying two laundry baskets up the stairs without any help. Obviously he is not stable, strong, or tall enough to do that so it was a major battle of wills. He is very strong willed, but I think I'm a bit more so. Just a bit.
A couple nights ago when he was going to bed I made the mistake of telling him I was going to work on laundry. Rookie mistake. He cried in his room for 40 minutes asking to help do laundry! I went in there several times to try to convince him that I would save some laundry for him to help with in the morning and to try to distract him, but he was one track minded! He finally went to sleep after I found a onesie and socks and asked him to help me put them in his laundry basket.
My favorite part of his helpfulness is the way he asks to help. He's heard me say things like, "Do you want to help me" or "Thanks for helping me" so many times that instead of saying "I want to help you" he says "Help me!" So I spend much of my day listening to his sweet little voice saying, "Help me, help me" over and over again as he asks to help me with every single thing I do. It's pretty funny.
He wants to be independent so badly, that if we dare to help him with something, like putting a shoe on or handing him his milk that he can't reach, we are in big trouble. When I changed his diaper today he had his pants off except for one foot was stuck and I helped him pull it off. So he had to put them all the way back on and start over. I moved his cup closer to him at lunch so he could reach it. His response? To move it further away than it was the first time and do it himself. If I try to give him a hand on the stairs he will go all the way back up and start over. I won't lie, I'm pretty sure he got that from me. So I guess I'm getting paid back for my own strong willed and perfectionistic self.
In other news, Tyler is sleeping so much better! He's falling asleep by himself for most naps and finally back to sleeping to a decent time in the mornings. However, we do still find him in some funny spots sometimes.
This is Tyler and everything from his dresser.
I moved these books, but he woke up in the middle of the night crying. When I went to check on him he was moving them all back into his bed and seemed very distressed that they were gone. So he fell asleep in almost this exact same way a second time.
This is where he is currently sleeping.
Oh, I love this boy. He keeps me very busy, but I wouldn't want him any other way. I'm not sure what I would do with a calm child. This guy is a whole lot of fun. :-)
Oh, and I discovered a new perfect place to play with Tyler. We went to Sky Zone a couple weeks ago for play group and I am pretty sure it was actually made for Tyler.
A gym made out of trampolines? Yes, please! Thanks for introducing us Darla.
This picture has absolutely nothing to do with anything on this post. But it's from a wedding a couple weeks ago and it's pretty rare to have a picture of just the two of us anymore!

No comments:
Post a Comment