I'm not sure how long ago this started, but every summer my parents get a campsite at Coon Forks, which is about 45 minutes out of Eau Claire. The last few years they've stayed for over two weeks. The rest of us kids come out whenever we can and we're usually all able to be there at the same time for at least a couple days.
This year Tyler and I stayed with them for nine nights, came back home for four and went back out with Carl for two more nights. So fun! We stayed in the air conditioned camper for the first trip and stayed in our tent when we went back with Carl.
Anway, Tyler and I started our camping trip on July 20. The first couple of nights we camped in different places because we started in uncle's driveway after my cousin's wedding. Then we camped one night in New Ulm where we visited my grandma and my dad's sisters. Then we went to Coon Forks. The first few nights were a little rough getting Tyler to sleep since he was on a camper bed instead of in a crib. He just ran in circles all around the bed like a little torando. When it took him three hours to fall asleep the third night we set up the tent and and had him go to sleep in his pack & play. Then when he was sleeping I brought him into the camper. He was really excited to see a more familiar bed and that worked perfectly for the the rest of the trip. Sometimes being a parent means being a little creative. :-)
We took out a paddle boat, played at the playground, roasted marshmallows, played at the beach, and after Tyler was sleeping we played games. We also took quite a few trips into Eau Claire and did some fun things there.
Sadly, my camera battery died after only a couple days and I didn't have my charger. So I have no pictures of my family! But somehow I still have a lot of Tyler from before it died.
Helping Grandpa and Grandma shop
The cutest little camping bed I've ever seen
Waiting for our food to come at Culver's!
Tyler got to play at the mall twice! Once with Aunt Laura and once with Auntie Em.
Trying to pull the camper? Tyler was very curious.
Building a campfire with Grandpa
Whoa! So many Tyler's!
Tyler and Carl missed each other a lot during that week. They had a lot of fun together this past weekend when we went back! They make a great team.
There was never a question about whether or not we would bring our kids camping someday. It was a given. I wasn't sure exactly what camping would be like with Tyler, but I hoped he would like it. He does (understatement of the year). Camping with Tyler is a lot of things. Most of them really great. But one thing it isn't? Relaxing. That boy is busy! One of the many things we love about him. :-)
Tyler loved playing outside, finding trails to walk on, playing in dirt and mud and exlporing everything! He has never been so dirty in his life. But he had a great time with his Grandma, Grandpa and aunts and uncles. And we all had a lot of fun watching him figure out new things and watching him constantly finding new little adventures.
As and added and sort of spontaneous bonus, we also got to see Carl's parents, grandparents and great aunt on our way home last night. We were able to stop by for a few hours to have dinner and hang out on our way home. Tyler surprised them all with how much food he can fit in his little belly and gave his Grandma Beckie countless scares with his constant climbing! It must be a grandma thing because my mom was feeling the same way at the campground. :-)
We had an amazing time camping and an amazing time with family. We're always sad to say goodbye to everyone, but I'm not sure I've ever been so excited to sleep in my own bed before. We didn't even unpack the car. We brought in the bag with food in it and Tyler, and we went straight to bed.
I love the picture of Carl and Tyler with the tent pools! He looks like Carl's mini me! So sweet :).
ReplyDelete