Saturday, April 2, 2011

Tyler's Story

We are so excited to announce that our precious baby boy was born on Saturday, March 26 at 3:49 pm and his name is Tyler Daniel Hagen. We love him so much and can't get over how amazing he is. I could just sit and stare at him all day long and never get tired of it. My mom keeps laughing at me because I can't stop telling him how cute and sweet he is all the time.

We sent an email after he was born just saying that I had an emergency c-section without any other details. So here are a few of the details if you want them. If you don't want them, just skip this post. :-)

I spent a lot of the day Friday cooking meals to freeze and have here after the baby was born. That night I got a little behind and was waiting for my wild rice soup to cool enough to put in the freezer so we didn't go to bed until about 1:15. At 1:30 my contractions started. So obviously, we didn't get any sleep that night. Carl slept a couple hours or so before I woke him up and we started timing contractions. At 4:30 we called the hospital and they told us to come in. During all of this time we were incredibly calm. It surprised us actually - we expected ourselved to be a little panicked, but it was like it was the most natural thing in the world to be getting last minute things together so we could have a baby. Weird. Anyway, we went to the hsopital at 5 am and they confirmed that I was in labor and brought us to a delivery room. I got an epidural pretty quickly after we got there. Those contractions were intense! And I really didn't want to wait for the pain meds. Epidurals are amazing!!! I didn't feel any more contractions until the very end and they didn't even hurt. I could just feel a little pressure. I was pretty relaxed, reading a magazine, I think Carl even managed to get a nap in. Then the craziness started.

Tyler's heart rate dropped with a big contraction and then went up again pretty quickly. But it happened a couple more times if I moved or had another big contraction. So they put me on oxygen the rest of the time I was in labor and that seemed to help him. At one point they decided that if they moved me to a different position it might help things move faster and as soon as they did his heart rate dropped and it never went back up. So all of the sudden doctors and nurses started flying into the room. They started turning me in all directions, I think to try to get the heart rate back up and cords started flying and an oxygen tank got thrown on my bed and then they were racing my bed down the hallway. I was crying and they wouldn't let Carl come with and neither one of us really knew what was happening. I was completely terrified. But when we got to the operating room his heart rate went back up. So they took my blood and had me sign the paper work for a c-section just in case, and decided to deliver the baby right there so we'd be ready if it happened again. At some point they finally went and got Carl from the room he'd been waiting in all by himself and gave him scrubs to come back and I ended up pushing for about an hour and a half. But because of the heart issue with Tyler, they wouldn't let me push very often. So it all took too long and they decided that they needed to get him out right away. So they told us they were going to try to vacuum him out and if that didn't work we'd be having a c-section. So 3 pushes and one vacuum later and people started flying everywhere again to get ready for that c-section. It felt like mass chaos, people running everywhere talking all at once. They made Carl leave again and I was crying uncontrollably again. They put me to sleeppretty quickly and the next thing I knew, I woke up in a different room in more pain than I ever knew was possible, scared for my baby and not knowing what was going on. I'm not sure how long I was awake before my doctor came over and started telling me that Tyler was ok and he was with Carl and that everything went really well. After what seemed like forever, they finally brought me up to the room and got Carl and Tyler. I didn't get to meet Tyler until he was already a few hours old, but by that time I was just so thankful that he was ok I didn't care. And when I finally got to see him I was so in love that it really didn't matter what I went through to get him here. He is amazing! It will be a long recovery and I really can't do all that much right now, but it is all completely worth it for this baby!

3 comments:

  1. So glad he's here safe and sound!! Can't wait to meet the little guy! Thinking of you guys lots and praying for a quick recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How terrifying Kristi! I didn't know they still knocked woman completely out for c-sections. Glad it all turned out good in the end! Congrats again on Tyler!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. This sound so scary. I'm thankful for good doctors (even if you didn't know what they were doing at the time!) And for a healthy baby boy. I can't imagine this situation, we're proud of you! AND so happy for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete