Monday, December 20, 2010

I Survived

So last week I had my monthly prenatal appointment and I was NOT looking forward to it. This one was my glucose test. If you don't know, that means I had to drink a nasty orange, sugary drink, then wait for an hour and get my blood drawn to check my sugar levels and see if I have Gestational Diabetes. I was dreading that test because I hate getting my blood taken and I was pretty sure I was going to fail it and have to do the longer test. And of course I was right. I failed by 2 points. Just barely over the line. So today I took the day off work to go in and take the 3 hour glucose test, which means fasting and then drinking one nasty orange drink and getting 4 blood draws in 3 hours. Yuck!

Last week I kept asking Carl, "They wouldn't really tell a pregnant lady she can't have sugar 4 days before Christmas would they?" That would be the cruelest form of punishment. So for the last week I have been going back and forth between trying not to eat anything sugary (which is hard in a week full of Christmas parties) just in case I did have it, and wanting to eat all the sugar in sight because I knew I might not be able to for the next three months! 

This morning finally came and I went in for the dreaded test. They took my blood as soon as I got there and I passed part one right away. Then they made me drink the nasty drink, which was much nastier this time - I think I had a different kind because this one was making me cringe and gag and the last one didn't bother me at all. Then I sat in the lobby for an hour and went in for the 2nd blood draw. Passed it! Another hour in the waiting room and the 3rd blood draw. By this time I was starting to feel sick and  like I might pass out. I was out of arms to poke for this one so they tried to take it from the first one, but my arm was all swollen and bruised so they had to take it from the same one as last time. But I passed it! And since I passed the first three with flying colors, I got to go home and skip the last hour and the 4th blood draw. Merry Christmas Me!

Now I would do anything for this baby, so if I hadn't passed I would have gladly gone on the low sugar and low carb diet they would have given me. And I probably only would have complained when everyone else was enjoying all my Christmas baking while I watched. But thankfully, he loves his Mommy, and I don't have too. He just made me fail the first one to toughen my up a little and get me more used to needles.

I celebrated my good news by going home and eating a truffle.

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you had to get poked so many times!!! But I am glad you passed the test. You are right; it would have been a hard time of year to avoid sugar! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kristi! Sounds intense!! I have to have that test right after we get back from our Christmas festivities... I guess I should be watching what I eat as well!!!

    Can't believe your arms get so bruised and swollen, no wonder you don't like getting blood drawn! You'll probably be thankful for this test in a few months as it will prepare you for more needles!

    Enjoy your Christmas goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kristi!
    I failed both parts when I was pregnant with Larson and ended up having to go on a diet where you watch your carbs very very closely and you can't eat certain things (no cereal, no juice!) and had to poke myself 3 times daily to get my blood sugar counts! This time around I don't have my test until January 4th and am so thankful that it's after Christmas and New Years. I have a feeling I'll fail again (since you're more like to fail with pregnancy #2 if you had it with pregnancy #1). You better believe that I am going to enjoy all the Christmas goodies people are making. Glad you don't have to deal with it! Enjoy all those Christmas sweets!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete