Monday, December 13, 2010

Surviving A Blizzard Hagen Style

I started the weekend by joining thousands of other people at the grocery store Friday after work so that I wouldn't have to go anywhere Saturday. I don't know if I have ever seen a grocery store that crowded - it was ridiculous. But I got everything I needed and didn't have to leave my house during the crazy snowstorm. Mission accomplished. We also went to Dave and Buster's to do something different for a date night. If you know us very well at all you know that I lose almost every game I play against Carl. But I'm usually pretty good at Air Hockey! Not this time. I have now added it to the list of things I can't win at. It's getting to be a very long list. I blame it on being pregnant.

On Saturday we woke up to the realization that not only was there already almost a foot of snow outside, but it was supposed to keep snowing all day and our snowblower was at the shop getting fixed! So my poor, but wonderful husband spent over 5 hours outside in the freezing cold. He spent 3 hours shoveling half of our driveway and then a snowplow came by and immediately covered the end of it up again, which added another hour. And then, because he's a rock star and super awesome, he spent at least another hour helping the old man across the street with his driveway. And I stood inside taking pictures of him through the window. (I know. It was a rough day for me.)

This is Carl staring down the snowplow driver before he hurled snow at him and his freshly cleaned driveway.

The driver was not intimidated. This is Carl running away from the 15 foot wall of snow coming his way.

From inside my cozy warm house, where I was not allowed to help shovel, I thought it was a beautiful day and I loved the snow. We celebrated having half of a cleared driveway with a pot roast, homemade bread and our favorite sweet potatoe casserole. See, I did a little more than just take pictures that day.

And then we watched a movie by the fireplace. I thought many times that day about how thankful I was for a warm house, warm blankets and a warm fireplace. And also warm hot chocolate. What a blessing to have a safe, warm house to live in!

And the good news is, we got our snowblower back today and it only took Carl 35 minutes to do the rest of the driveway and the sidewalk to our front door!

No comments:

Post a Comment