Thursday, April 24, 2014

Easter

I know I've said this before. Probably a lot. But I really love starting new traditions with our family. And so it was fun to plan our weekend and how we would celebrate Easter with our kids. Like Christmas, I don't want it to be about Easter Bunnies and candy. I want our kids to truly get what it is.

The "popcorn guy" at the mall, as Tyler calls him, started that really nicely for us a couple weeks before Easter. We were going to the play area, but there is a popcorn stand at the bottom of the elevator. Although we have never gotten popcorn there, Tyler thinks the guy who works there is the coolest. He waves at him from in the elevator and likes to walk by the stand to say hi. That day Tyler waved at him as we walked by and the guy waved us over and asked his name. Then he asked my permission to give him some popcorn. I expected like a tiny little sample cup/bag. No. He gave him a great big bucket and filled it half full! But the cool part was that the bucket had an Easter egg design on it. He told Tyler he could eat the popcorn and then use the bucket as an Easter basket to put eggs in. And then he said something to the effect of, "Now you'll see lot of Easter eggs and candy and that kind of thing at Easter, but that's not really what Easter is all about. Easter is something really special." When we left we talked about what Easter is about. Since then anytime Tyler sees something or hears something about Easter, he says, "Is this what Easter is all about?"

So anyway, I have a set of Resurrection Eggs that I used when I taught. And we got them out to use them with Tyler for the first time this year. He loved them! He was so excited to see what was in each egg every night and listen to the part of the story that went with it. It's a really fun way to slowly take apart and teach the different parts of the story of Jesus' death and resurrection.

Saturday night we colored eggs. Another first for our family. It was a big hit. Tyler had fun coloring the eggs, but for the most part he played "manager" and told us what colors to put them in and then put stickers all over them. It was very fitting. He doesn't like to get messy. :-)



And after dinner on Sunday night we made resurrection rolls. I've made these a few times, but never thought to do them for Easter. It's so easy and it was a fun learning activity for Tyler. All you have to do is dip marshmallows in butter, cinnamon and sugar. Then wrap them up in crescent rolls. The marshmallows disappear in the oven. It was a great visual as we talked about the tomb being empty.

Sunday morning we went to church and the boys wore their adorable suits. Tyler was quite disappointed that they didn't have a green one at the store to match Carsten's.  It was pretty sweet.

Tyler insisted that he needed to wear his red hat and blue flip flops with his suit. He said, "But I have to wear my hat so I'm more fancy." He did not win this one, but he made a great effort.






We tried to get some good pictures of each of then on their own. But Tyler was pretty busy pretending he was a squirrel and crawling all over the yard. So this one of him hiding behind a bush was the very best we got. :-)

Carsten on the other hand, was a little ham. We always say his little helmet makes him look like a little skater dude. But maybe it's not the helmet. Here's our little skate boarder.







No comments:

Post a Comment