Friday, June 17, 2011

Ferocious Motherly Instincts? Yup.

Ok so I probably shouldn't be writing on here right now because I'm mad at my computer and my annoyance will probably show but I'm doing it anyway. I apologize in advance. I was planning to write a nice little post with some cute little pictures but then after I went to the mall I had a ridiculous story to tell. So I was going to blog twice. One nice one about my baby and one little rant about people at the mall. But I got on the computer and the Internet wasn't working. This might not sound so bad but it's the 3rd time in 4 days that it hasn't worked when I wanted it to. Also in the last 4 days I have had problems with computers, memory cards, cameras, disk drives, CDs, baby monitors, ovens, glasses, new clothes and picture frames. Pretty much, I break everything I touch. Seriously people, don't let me into your homes. Or at least Kristi-proof them first.

So all that to say, I'm writing this from the iPad because The Internet isn't working on the computer, so there will be no cute happy post with pictures of sweet little Tyler. Hopefully tomorrow.

Ok so this is what happened at the mall. Tyler was in his stroller and we were standing in line at New York & Company. This cute little girl, probably 4 or 5 came over and was looking at Tyler. I asked her if she liked babies, told her I liked her pretty hair, had a nice little conversation with her. Then she tried to close the canopy on Tyler's stroller. Not a big deal, but it did wake him up. I told her he likes to look around so let's leave it open and I put it back up. So she reached over and started pulling it up and down over and over (not gently I might add), shaking the stroller crazily. So I asked her very nicely to please leave it alone so he could either look around or go back to sleep. She ignored me so I put my hand on it and held it down. So she reached into his stroller and unclipped his nuk from his car seat strap. I told her we needed to leave that there in case he needed it and I clipped it back on. So she grabbed it and tried to jam it in his mouth. So I took it again and put it away in the diaper bag to wash later. So what does she do next? After shaking his stroller violently again and grabbing at his hands and touching his face while I politely tried to make her stop, she took her chewed up gum out of her mouth and tried to shove it in is mouth!! I reached out with cat-like reflexes and grabbed her hand and pulled her away, telling her that he's too little for gum. I was very nice, but I was fuming inside. I just need to reiterate that the child was not gentle at all with anything she did. Poor Tyler looked terrified. And where, you might ask, was her mother? Standing 2 feet away watching and smiling. Really? Smiling as your child tries to put used gum in a 2 month old baby's mouth?! If I ever let my children act that way please slap me across the face and put me in my place. I really don't get worked up very easily but that happened awhile ago and I'm still shocked about it. This all took place over about 5 minutes and several of those things happened numerous times. That mother was getting looks from people all around her and just didn't seem to care. I really think that in public some parents don't know how to respond in those situations, so I'm going to give her that. Maybe she was just shy and didn't know what do. But I think it's common sense that you don't let your child attack a baby in a store. I definitely shouldn't have been the one telling her to stop doing all of those things. And you would think that after listening to me tell her to stop she would at least back me up. In retrospect I should have just taken him out of the stroller or left but I really kept expecting her to leave him alone or for her mom to do something about it. That was even worse then when the mom in Old Navy watched her son throw a soccer ball at my pregnant tummy and didn't do anything about it. Some people.

Sorry for my annoyed post. This is like a journal. I just had to get it out of my system and now it's gone. Thanks for letting me rant to you!

3 comments:

  1. Oh I TOTALLY 100% understand! I think the way you handled it was far better than I would have (or have). When the twins were itty bitty people were always so fascinated by them, people would often think that because they were twins that meant they could just touch them. DROVE ME NUTS! Then this year when I had to take Jacob to the doctor at 2 weeks for his routine check up some little kid with a runny nose touched him and I swear that is where he got the RSV from that put him in the hospital for a week!
    Dont feel bad at all! I often wonder how some people are allowed to procreate =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you were way nicer than I would have been, I would have pummeled that little twerp. I guess it's good for Tyler to get used to ladies attacking him, he is quite the stud.

    ReplyDelete