Do you know how cute it is to watch 3-5 year olds play soccer? It's ridiculous. Tyler loved when they got to practice scoring goals and he was great at dribbling. He was a little timid when they started playing games and he was suddenly allowed to try to steal the ball from people. And he didn't love that they were allowed to steal the ball from him too! Kind of a foreign concept for some one who normally knows it is not okay to take things away from people!
But he really loved it. And he's even been asking when he can play again.
In other Tyler related news, here are a few of his latest greatest quotes.
The scene: The boys are napping and I'm about to start kneading bread dough for dinner. They wake up and can't seem to stop climbing on the counter and trying to eat raw dough. So I have them sit in their chairs so I can quickly finish.
Tyler: Mommy, are you being like Martha?
Me: Who's Martha?
Tyler: Martha from the story in my Bible.
If you don't know that story, look it up. :-) Apparently he felt like I was too worried about getting things done. How old are you again Tyler?
At the moment I can't think of any more exact quotes I guess. But I will say this. He is becoming such a sweet and compassionate little boy. He is so full of love for his brother. It melts my heart to watch them together. Tyler is definitely the protective big brother. He certainly has some less than perfect moments too, but for the most part he is always looking out for Carsten. I had Bible study today and we meet in the nursery area so the kids can be in the room next door. When we got there today the first thing he did was go in and set up toys for Carsten to play with. And while we were meeting next door I heard him telling the babysitters when Carsten needed things. It was so sweet. Last time we were there he saw Carsten try to eat another boy's sandwhich that had peanut butter on it and he immediately told the babysitters that Carsten is allergic to it! We don't actually know that he is yet. We will find out tomorrow. But it was so good to know that Tyler is watching out for him!
Did I mention that I love them together?
Tyler is only three but he is so excited to go to school. He gets to start Awana this year, which he is also very excited about. And he was asking me today if he will get to bring his back pack and hang it in a locker when he goes. I don't even know how he knows about such things. But he can't wait to ride a school bus and have a locker.
And his newest thing is that he wants to do everything like a big boy. Specifically at meal time. He wants to sit in a big boy chair, use a glass plate and "glass" silverware and he doesn't want anything cut. He's been sitting without a booster seat for a couple months, but he was having a lot of trouble actually staying in his chair. And by a lot of trouble I mean he was getting out of his chair for something about every 30 seconds. At one point he went back to the booster seat for awhile but it didn't really help because he knows how to unbuckle it. So when he started asking for a glass plate we took it as an opportunity. He had to work for getting a big boy plate by learning to stay in his chair. As soon as he got a sticker for every meal for a week, he got his big boy plate. With that (and ice cream dessert) promised for motivation it did not take him long to figure it out. And he is now proudly using a big boy plate, fork and spoon like a pro. And he is so careful and responsible when he clears his place - he sets his plate down so gently next to the sink and he even asked if he could put his silverware in the sink or if he needed to set them on the counter too. :-)
And just for fun, what's the best way to spend a rainy Sunday night? A movie and dinner in a fort with Daddy!
No comments:
Post a Comment